Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Magic of Theater and MacBeth!


 

What do Penn and Teller have to do with MacBeth?  I am sure this the question you are asking right now, either that or who are Penn and Teller?  I hope it is not Who is MacBeth, because then we have issues.

I loved magic as a child, and when I turned 15 took up the art of prestidigitation.  I began doing magic at parties the following year and soon found myself performing at 60-80 business parties a year.  I worked all over northern Missouri, Kansas City, and even had the opportunity to perform close-up magic in a few night clubs in New York City.  I attended all kinds of workshops and conventions in my pursuit of learning more.  Penn and Teller were video conferenced in at one such workshop.  Now, I still dabble in magic for fun to entertain the students or to make a point in the classroom, but I do direct Shakespeare and will be teaching a class in Shakespeare next semester.  Upon looking for scripts for the class I came upon this Folger library companies script.  I always use Folger Library for Shakespeare and this one came with a dvd version from one of their shows, and Lo and Behold Teller was one of the directors.  Pear that information together with the picture on the front and I had to see his interpretation.  I directed MacBeth two years ago, and being a magician I also incorporated some the concepts of magic with the weird sisters, so I had to see his take on a magical MacBeth.  This is a good version that I highly recommend.  It has many extra features and interviews that are great for a classroom setting.  I would also highly recommend the Patrick Stewart version.  It is an interesting interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment