Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Stage Combat and the Society of American Fight Directors (SAFD)

I spent two years doing stage combat with a group called Written in Steel.  I loved the camaraderie, the intense practices, and swinging steel.  When I returned to teach at Central I knew I wanted to add a stage combat class.  I took the skills I had and began researching and reading all I could find on stage combat.  Shane, a fellow teacher in the department, began this process with me.  The outcome of this work has been our Stage Movement class which provides introductions to unarmed stage combat, knife, dancing (for foot work), rapier, and broadsword.  One of the resources we found and instantly fell in love with was the Society of American Fight Directors affectionately known as the SAFD.


The Society of American Fight Directors is an internationally recognized non-profit organization dedicated to promoting safety and fostering excellence in the art of stage combat. Whether you are a producer, director, actor or teacher, they can help accelerate your stage combat skills.

They provide training, weapon certification, and for those dedicated few teaching certification.  While we are NOT certified through the SAFD, we have had the privilege of learning from them at some of the multiple workshops they hold annually.  We have based our system and dedication to safety on their teachings and look forward to any opportunity to attend an event held by the SAFD.

If you are interested in stage combat I urge you to look up the SAFD and see if there is an instructor in your area or if there is a close by workshop coming up.  You will not regret it.  If you are in our area of McPherson, KS and interested swing by and we would love to talk with you and show you some of our steel.

Delicious Save this on Delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment